Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Wood Type Movie


First of all, I want to say that before we even watched this movie I figured it was going to be dry and boring, however it was not. It definitely surprised me at how interesting and even inspiring it was. This is an art form that I would love to be introduced to for two simple reasons: One, because it is an old art, I find it so fascinating to be able to be connected personally with history and two, because it looks like it would be so much fun producing work in this manner and seeing how much different it compares to what we do now on computers. Doing hands-on art almost makes us feel so much more proud of what we have accomplished and gives us so much happiness. I would love to be able to design this way and also even go to the Museum in Wisconsin. I find it so sad that they have such little funding. I want this to be something people realize is out there and is a huge part of our history. I want them most of all to appreciate and see the beauty in wood type as I see it. To be able to go to the museum and not only look, but touch history is so amazing and inspiring. If I had the chance to learn the art of wood type I would jump on the offer in an instant as would many others in our class I predict. I feel it should be brought back to life again and we should use this to our advantage not only in our design work, but to promote the beauty, history, and the creators of our past.

1 comment: